- I have completed and payed for my First Aid for Childcarers Certificate.
- I have attended my Pre-registration Briefing Meetings
- I have completed my Understanding How To Set Up A Home Based Childcare Service Course and Childminder Registration Course.
- I have attended and completed my Safeguarding Children Awareness Course.
- I have spent hours writing all of my policies & procedures that are required
- I have completed my Enhanced CRB Check
- My partner has completed his Enhanced CRB check
- I have sent off my forms and documents to be checked and signed.
- I have read and re read the EYFS so I know what is expected of me.
- I have completed all of my risk assessements for every room in my house including the garden.
- I have brought fire guards, first aid boxes, fire blankets, non slip matting and safety glass film etc (all requirements by OFSTED)
- I have spent time creating activity rotas, and printing & laminating posters for my setting.
- I have paid for my registration fee to OFSTED
...and today I found out that I won't be able to become a Childminder!!!
Words cannot express how devastated I feel.
All because my local Doctors surgery will not sign my Health Declaration Form unless I pay them £87!
It is only two pages and seven tick box questions and would take less than 5 minutes to fill out. It could easily be done within one appointment time. All it requires is a doctor to look at my medical forms which they have on the screen at every appointment and just put a tick in the relevant boxes.
I have two children and currently don’t work as I am at home looking after them. I cannot afford to pay out for childcare and becoming a childminder is the only way that I can work, earn some money and still look after my children.
I simply cannot afford to pay this fee however without this small section of the form filled out I will not be able to become a childminder.
I thought the idea was to help people get back into work not stop them!
Today is a bad day