Thursday 7 March 2013

50 Days and NO shampoo!

It has been exactly 50 days since I last washed my hair (with shampoo)! It has been a very interesting journey so far and I've had my good and bad days. The whole thing is a learning process and you have to find what works for your hair type and what definitely doesn't!   

Today I'd say is a bad day. I washed my hair last night with bicarbonate of soda and conditioned it with cyder vinegar and this is what it looked like this morning...

Please excuse the serious lack of make up and ghostly pale skin, I feel rather rough today!
To me my hair looks greasy but still frizzy and just generally looks grim. I have decided that there could be three possible reasons for this...

1) I feel ill and think I have a some kind of infection as I have lost my voice so perhaps this is having an effect on my hair?

2) I didn't use the right amount of bicarbonate of soda when I washed it. I was running low so perhaps I didn't use enough?

3) I haven't eaten very healthy food this week. I read somewhere that what you eat has a big effect on your hair. Too much greasy food this week I think!


 I feel I have kind of lost my way with this process and I'm currently not seeing a huge improvement or any particular benefits to it. Don't get me wrong I won't be going back to using shampoo, I just don't know if I'm doing the whole 'no poo' thing right! 

I'm currently washing my hair once a week with either my egg wash or bicarbonate of soda and I'm definitely preferring the egg wash (it feels softer afterwards). I have about three days where I can wear my hair down and then I have to tie it up for the remaining days because it looks oily. It's hard to brush the oils through my hair because it's curly and the minute you put a brush near it, it puffs up into a mass of frizziness! 

I'm not using any products at all at on it at the moment and I desperately want to dye it because the roots are looking hideous but I don't want to undo all of the hard work of not putting gunk on it! There must be an alternative, natural, solution for dying hair out there??


However I shall persevere with my 'no poo' adventure and hopefully I will see an improvement soon. 

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has under gone this process and if anyone has any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong.

Check out my other posts on my 'no poo' adventure...









9 comments:

  1. You are so brave! I have curly hair and I would love to find a way to make it look fab! I am not brave enough to go without shampoo. Also the that little bit more time I get in the shower to wash my hair is my break of the day haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I have some days when it looks really nice and others when it looks horrible. Hopefully I will find a balance soon

      Delete
  2. Hi, tomorrow it will be my 80st day without shampoo. Just hang in there, it is getting better all the time. I'm able to wash my hair with soda once a week and I was using white vinaigre instead of appel cidre vinaigre.
    This week I used lemons, because I had a few left. That works just as well and my hair seems to get a little lighter. I won't use shampoo ever again and I hope to 'dye' my hair when the sun will shine a bit more with lemonjuice.
    One question: Do you wash your hair with water only on the other days? Because may be that could be a way to balance things.
    But... hey... You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80 days! Well done you .
      At the moment I am just washing it once a week with the egg and lemon, no water washes in between. Should I be doing that then? Maybe I should try that.
      I wanted to wait until the sun came out to dye it with lemon juice but the way things are going I don't think we are going to get any!

      Delete
  3. Maybe this is the sollution: I wash my hair every day with water only. Just scrubbing your head with water and then use the vinaigre. tomorrow is my 80st day and it is getting better still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking this is where I have been going wrong, I haven't been doing the water washes. Do you use vinegar after every wash and is it white wine vinegar rather than apple cyder vinegar that you use?

      Delete
  4. My hair is (or was) very thin and fine so if I don't use vinaigre I won't be able to get a comb through my hair. It is realy necessary! I haven't used eggs but have seen warnings about olive oil. You only can get that out by washing with shampoo, wich I realy don't want to any more. Maybe the same thing could be said about washing with eggs...???
    The reason why I use white vinaigre is that I didn't have apple cidre and wanted to get started right away. I have surfed the net about this and I heared that people think white vinaigre is less smelly. I never switched to an other vinaigre.
    Another tip: just wash your hair when it is oily! soda does not strip your hair and oily hair is bad for our moods!!!
    I wish you succes!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really interesting Gina. My hair is very dry and I'd love to find an alternative to shampoo which works well. It's dry due to dying and has basically gone really brittle too :( Interested to see how you progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair was very dry too from dying. It's definitely better now and it grows a lot faster x

      Delete

I would love to know what you think? Go on make my day. x