Tuesday 5 March 2013

Fighting a Losing Battle

One of the main problems with depression is that it never really goes away. No matter what the experts say, no matter how much CBT training or counselling you have, it is always there, somewhere in the background!

I refuse to take medication for it, probably not the best idea I've ever had but I just think it's un-natural to pump our bodies full of medication all the time. I also swear that the medication changes people, they become very detached from the world and un-naturally dosile.

Over the years I have tried many different methods for managing depression and none of them have really worked but I do now have a sort of system that seems to work quite well.

It is quite simply a weekly routine. Everyday we have at least one thing to go to or do. Like today, Tuesday, we go to one toddler group in the morning that starts at 10am, so I have to get up, get dressed and get out of the house. Now to anyone that has never suffered with depression this wouldn't seem like a big deal, but to someone that does suffer sometimes just managing to get out of bed in the morning is a massive achivement! 

Then this afternoon we have another group to go to. It helps to split the day up so you know that you don't have a whole day at home with two little ones that will inevitably get bored and start playing up. It helps me to know we have stuff to do and places to go, it helps to put me in the right frame of mind for the day.

So on days like today, when I feel tired, achey and just general rough it helps me to drag my behind out of bed and forces me to get on with it even though all I want to do is curl up in a ball in my bed and never get out again. 

What about you then, do you have a coping mechanism? Or are you one of the lucky ones that has never suffered with it? 


8 comments:

  1. Urgh horrible depression. I can understand you not wanting to take anything as some meds can just be so strong but maybe there's some very mild ones out there that help take the edge off? I get more anxious now than I ever used to and I've never done anything about it yet. I know I should really. Hope this bout passes very quickly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely got a lot more anxious after having children. I think it's the pressure of knowing you are completely responsible for their lives and keeping them safe. People in the past have suggested St John's Wort as an alternative remedy but it's sooo expensive!

      Delete
  2. I swear by vitamin B6 and Evening Primrose oil, if I don't take these there is a huge noticeable difference to my mood and my ability to cope with things just plummet, like you I have never wanted to treat my depression with mess but these supplements really make a massive difference to my life! I also agree having things to do each day keeps me going too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting maybe I should try those them. Where do you buy yours? Vitamins and supplements seem to be so expensive at the moment. x

      Delete
  3. I love this post! I suffered from depression after my son was born and I was in a relationship I was very unhappy in and I remember days when all I wanted to do was stay in bed and cry!! I did take anti depressants for about a year before coming off of them and have been "clean" for about four years now. I wish there had been better support for me through my GP who basically just made me do a questionaire and bunged me a prescription for Anti D's! Happier now, married to a fab man and now have my baby daughter and my son is nearly 6 but some days if I don't go out I get a bit low and anxious. Structure and making sure you have places to go and people to see helps massively! Hope you find a coping mechanism for you, what you are doing sounds like its working x
    PS Sorry for massively long comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, thanks for your comment. Depression is such a horrible thing. I'm glad to hear that everything has worked out better for you. I still think the support from GP's is pretty rubbish, they sent me off to CBT training which I feel was a waste of time, might work for some people though

      Delete
  4. I think some doctors think you're making it up too! One thing i found that did help ease the dips in my mood was not drinking alcohol. This is hard for a red wine and cider lover such as myself but even now if i have more than a glass my mood is flatter the following day :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i think the doctors are worried about people trying to get health benefits. I agree with the drinking, I'm always a lot worse after a night of booze. Can't drink at all at the moment though because it makes my heart rate go nuts! Not sure what that's about?!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think? Go on make my day. x