Wednesday 17 October 2012

Old, Matured, Aged, Along in Years, Not Young!

This weeks Gallery theme is Old...



This was awarded to my Great Grandfather in 1961. It reads...

'Having made valuable and significant contributions to World Air Transport and to the furtherance of international understanding [G.G name] is hereby appointed to membership in the Clipper Club' - Pan American


As I seem to be the 'un-official' family historian this has been handed down to me by my Father.
I have tried to research the Clipper Club but there doesn't appear to be much information on it. As far as I can gather though it was a sort of first class lounge at airports. If anyone else knows anything about it I'd love to hear it.

To check out other peoples entries into this weeks Gallery then head over to Tara's blog at Sticky Fingers x

7 comments:

  1. I have actually heard of the clipper club but I cant for the life of me remember where. I'll ask my Brother later and let you know if he knows anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great. I'd love to know what it's all about x

      Delete
  2. was this some sort of honour or just a privilege?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know, the wording makes it sound like some sort of honour but I could be wrong x

      Delete
  3. That's really interesting, would be great if someone could tell you more about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have heard of it as well but I might be wrong - There was a film several years ago could "catch me if you can" based on a true story of a man that impersonated many different roles one of them being a Pan Am Pilot - I think the "clipper club" was mentioned a lot.

    What a great thing to have - sorry if I'm not much help!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think? Go on make my day. x