Friday 18 January 2013

Goodbye Shampoo

I have decided to stop using shampoo completely. No more shampoo, no more conditioner and no more hair products. (You can read about how I got the idea here). 

Yes I know, I have obviously lost a marble or two but I am going into this with an open mind. I might not stand the test of time but I'm going to give it a go. I mean how hard can it be right *said with a nervous quiver in my voice*.

I thought it would be interesting to log my process or lack of it on here. So I'll start with today. 

Day one of social suicide

I last washed my hair with the 'proper' sweet smelling toxin filled bottled stuff on Wednesday morning. So by today (friday) it was starting to look a little like it could do with a scrub. (I should mention here that my hair is damaged almost beyond repair through years of abuse with dyes/hair products/straighteners etc).

I thought I would try a natural wash today and see how I got on (I can see that this is going to be a game of trial and error)
This is what I used...

3 eggs (yes you read that right eggs)
and the juice from half a lemon

Whisk it all up and it's ready to go. I wet my hair and towel dried it, I then applied the mixture to my head and really rubbed it into my scalp. Leaving the mixture on I then wrapped my head in a towel and left it for about 15 minutes or so. 
When I felt that I'd had it on for long enough I then rinsed it with cool water. Apparently if you use hot water you can end up with a kind of scrambled egg type disaster (best to avoid that, not quite the look I'm going for).

and volia 

(appologies in advance for the rubbish photos It's harder than it looks to take pictures of your own hair)





It worked really well and my hair felt lovely and soft. Still very frizzy but hopefully that will improve in time.




The next step now (I think) is to leave it until it starts to look like it needs a wash and then wash it with just water. Next spend at least 5 minutes massaging my scalp to move the natural oils around. (I'm not feeling  confident at all with this step but I'll give it a go).

The overall aim is to wash with water and massage once a week. Then use some form of natural wash (like eggs or bicarbonate of soda) once every two weeks and finally every six weeks using cassia obovata to give it a good deep cleanse and condition.

So far all is well but we'll see how it goes next time.

2 comments:

  1. That's so interesting. When I first saw this pop up, I thought you meant you were going for the dreadlock look and began to worry! Not many women can pull that off haha.

    I do admit though that your hair looks lovely and very shiny! I will be keeping up with your posts to see how your hair adapts to the different regimes. My hair is also very frizzy so I often just tie it back. Would love to try something new!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm really nervous but also excited about it. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see how it goes x

      Delete

I would love to know what you think? Go on make my day. x